You don’t have to give to everyone, every time, for everything. You can be selfish with how you choose to give. Whether it’s in volunteer work, donations, or to people who expect you do what they need. Yes, family and friends are included because they’re the ones who also expect you to give without limits whenever they need you.
Here are some ways to give that will make your heart smile without feeling like you’ve given everything to everyone.
1. Give to the things you believe in. Just because they ask doesn’t mean you have to give.
2. Share random acts of kindness. Letting someone in front of you, donating to a fundraiser.
3. Volunteer for an hour or two, don’t say yes to all day if you know that’s not what you want. Don’t let them talk you into it, stand firm.
4. Money drop. This is by far my favorite one. Give any amount you want. This is easy to do and fun if you have little ones; Get single dollars and fold them into a small square. Then get a small sticky note and write a positive message on them. Then just drop them on the ground in random places. My favorite place was when my son was in sports, I’d drop them around the school, the gymnasium, bathrooms, outside with notes such as be kind, smile, say thank you, you’re smart, you’re kind, and don’t cheat. You get the idea.
5. Volunteer for causes you believe in and take your kids with you.
6. Write a check or shop for organizations in your area. Call the local retirement home to see if you can donate or help. My son and I write out Valentines cards to the local retirement home near us every year since he was around 7, they’re all signed Cupid.
7. Bring a dish this holiday season to the house you go to not just Tupperware bowls, lol. Yes, I had to throw that in.
Don’t let others guilt you into how you should give, who you should give to, or the way you give. Be selfish with your generosity.
Share how you’re going to give this holiday season in the comments.